This Chart and Techniques for Hand Reflexology and Massage of Meridian points shows us where and how to use our own personal power and take charge of our health.
Meridians are a set of pathways in the body along which vital energy is said to flow.. and massage and pressure to these points can open the flow of energy throughout our bodies.. and allow for healing and maintaining a healthy physical.. mental and energetic body.
You may use all these techniques in one session, or just one technique, e.g. Pressing, or two techniques, e.g. Rubbing and Pressing.
1. Rubbing: Begin by briskly rubbing your hands (palms) together to warm them up and generate energy (qi) in them. Also rub the back of each hand (including fingers) with the palm of the other hand.
2. Squeezing: Use your thumbpad and outside edge of your index finger to squeeze each finger and thumb on the other hand, one by one, from base to tip. Use firm but not painful pressure. Do this 2-3 times per finger/thumb.
3. Pulling: Use your thumbpad and the outside edge of your index finger to grasp the base of each finger and thumb on the other hand, one by one, then quickly pull down towards the tip while maintaining firm but not painful pressure. Do this 2-3 times per finger/thumb.
4. Pressing: Use the tip of your thumbnail to press and stimulate points on the opposite hand. Use this printable hand reflexology chart to locate common hand pressure points. Apply vertical pressure to each point with your thumbnail (or sometimes your fingernail). Press until you feel no more than a comfortable pain. Hold the pressure and knead the point with very small circular movements. Do this for 1-2 minutes per point. Repeat 1-2 times a day.
Choosing Points for Pressing
All hand pressure points are bilateral, i.e. they’re located on both hands. Generally, you would massage 3 or 4 points (on both hands), 1-2 times a day. Hand pressure points do adapt to stimulation though, so after 7 days stop for 3 or 4 days. If your condition and symptoms persist, continue for another week (or more), OR choose new points to press and rub.
Hand Reflexology Contraindications
The main hand reflexology contraindications are as follows:
Pregnancy, especially in the later stages. Pressing some hand points can cause uterine contractions. Unless you are experienced with hand massage it’s best to avoid it during pregnancy, or to consult a qualified massage therapist or acupuncturist
- Use carefully or not at all in potential surgical conditions such as acute appendicitis
- Don’t do it on broken skin or if there are infected sores orlesions on the hands
To greatly enhance the benefits of hand massage combine it with the regular use of Chinese Health balls & Massage Rings.
Source: Chinese Holistic Health Exercises