This is probably one of the easiest and most delicious hot sauces I’ve ever made!
You can make this two ways, 1) Quick & easy using only a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce 7 – 11 oz. 2) Making it from scratch taking dried chipotle, red chiles, and ancho peppers and roasting them in the oven first! Now I can’t be a Suzy Homemaker all the time we all have busy schedules and it’s hard to do everything from scratch, so when I’m short of time I’ll option for #1! If you want to keep your food sources as clean as possible please read the labels when choosing chipotle in a can, look at the different brands and read the ingredients… avoid GMOs !
Quick way ~
- One can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce 7 or 11 oz. (see below)
- 4 to 6 cloves of roasted garlic, I used 6 or 7 myself
- 1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 6 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup or more of purified water, depends on how you like your sauce, thick or more liquidity – I made mine more on the liquid side
- 2 Tbsp of pure raw honey
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp of Himalayan pink salt – more if you like
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
Note: You can adjust the spices to your taste.
- Roast garlic in oven for 20 – 25 minutes at 475 degrees
- Take garlic out and remove skins
- Empty can and mix all ingredients into blender in high setting until you reached desired texture blend, chunky or liquid
- Place sauce in glass jars or bottles
Recipe from scratch ~
- 4 dried chipotle chiles
- 2 dried red chiles
- 2 ancho chiles
- …and the same ingredients as listed in the quick version
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Slit and stem the peppers, roast for 5 minutes or so
- Remove peppers from oven and place them in a bowel of hot water for 20 minutes to soften
- Drain peppers and place them in blender along with all other ingredients listed above. Puree to desired consistency
- Now place sauce in a pan and cook for an additional 20 minutes, let it cool and fill you jars up!
*Shelf life up to 3 – 4 weeks, but it never lasted that long in the house… it’s that good! ~Keep refrigerated~
Your friends and family will rave about how fantastic this sauce is! Enjoy! ♡