“Eat it alone or leave it alone”, this pertains to eating fruit and it’s best to eat fruit on an empty stomach first thing in the morning! Wait one hour after eating fruit to eat another meal. This and other good weight management tips really helps a great deal to follow…
I found this interesting read, “After reading this, you’ll never look at a banana in the same way again“…
Bananas contain three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world’s leading athletes. But energy isn’t the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.
- ANEMIA: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
- BLOOD PRESSURE: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit’s ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
- BRAIN POWER: 200 students at a Twickenham school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.
- CONSTIPATION: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.
- DEPRESSION: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier. PMS: Forget the pills – eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood. ANEMIA High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
- HANGOVERS: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
- HEARTBURN: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
- MORNING SICKNESS: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
- MOSQUITO BITES: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.
- NERVES: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.. Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.
- PMS: Forget the pills – eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Many other cultures see bananas as a ‘cooling’ fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
- ULCERS: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chroniclercases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has FOUR TIMES the protein, TWICE the carbohydrate, THREE TIMES the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, ‘A BANANA a day keeps the doctor away!’
Healthy Tips/Weight Loss Management by ~ Yolanda Bertaud
Healthy diet must be a life long endeavor…
- Digestion starts from the mouth, chew your food well
- Avoid ice cold beverage and do not drink beverage with meals
- Do not eat heavy foods upon rising or before retiring (no eating after 7pm…this gives your system plenty of hours for digestion)
- Eat only when hungry, do not over-eat
- Get plenty of rest
- Do not consume saturated fats, avoid fried and greasy foods
- Consume only natural whole foods
- Avoid precooked and highly processed foods (which overwork the organs & that destroys enzymes and nutrients)
- Consume at least 50% raw “living” foods and extra fiber, more to raise pH levels
- Steam, broil or bake your foods and undercook your vegetables
- Omit white flour, white sugar, white rice, white salt and pepper (use raw sea salts, red pepper flakes, and whole pepper).
- Cleanse your system periodically by fasting with pure, fresh juices
- (For an advance body cleanse), intestinal/colon cleanse at least once annually
- Consume foods free/low of toxic insecticides and chemicals – organic/grow your own.
- Avoid foods with preservatives and additives
- Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, drugs, and stress – nothing in excess!
- Take quality multi-vitamin/mineral supplement when needed, plus intake EFA (essential fatty acids)
- Drink purified water, mineral water/steam-distilled water daily – (see all about water) & (purchase).
- Enjoy fresh air and sunshine, exercise, walking/stretching in your daily or weekly activity
- Keep active mentally and physically, maintain a positive state of mind
- Minimize intake of dairy products (cheese, milk, sour cream, eggs), instead intake small quantities of raw goat cheese, nonfat cottage cheese, kiefer, unsweetened low-fat plain yogurt/goat yogurt/Greek yogurt. Dairy products can be replaced with rice, and almond products.
- Minimize flesh intake (beef, pork, processed meats, duck, goose), instead intake more fish (see & download PDF Fish List), skinless turkey or chicken – limit meats to once (ideal)/twice weekly.
- FRUIT – Eat it alone or leave it alone! To eat fruit it’s best upon rising, wait one hour after eating fruit to eat another meal
- Proper food combining helps your metabolism, weight loss, detoxify your system.
All above should be fresh as possible, organic/non-gmo, clean filtered water (fluoride free), include exercise and positive thoughts about yourself & others.
Other related reads… The Morning Banana Diet
Related blog links:
- Super Foods! Lifetime Dietary Life-Style
- Dates In Your Diet
- Raw Food Diet
- The Paleo Diet: A Brief Rationale and Critique
- Health & Wellness