BLACK-EYED PEA SALAD
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time-to-table: 90 minutes
Makes 6 cups
What you’ll need…
- 8 ounces (1-1/2 cups) dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked over
- Water to cover plus 2 inches with salt
- 1 – 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 -3 Tbsp olive oil (1st press, cold press, extra virgin)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 -2 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 large fresh diced tomato
- 1 red onion, minced fine or 3 springs onions
- 2 -3 celery stalks, minced fine
- parsley, minced fine (about 1 cup -/+)
- a hand full of fresh dill, minced fine
In a large saucepan, combine the beans, water and salt and bring to a boil on medium high. Reduce the heat to medium and let simmer until beans are cooked, about 30 minutes (but some times longer, depending on the moisture in the beans). Drain and let it cool before proceeding to the next step.
In a bowl, stir in the vinegar, olive oil and seasoning, plus stir in the remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve cold.
This makes a great lite summer meal. Enjoy!
Related links: Recipes