By: Yolanda Bertaud
It’s soup season, and there is nothing more nutritional & energizing then a warm bowl of fish vegetable soup for the winter months; well, soups are great all year around. Let’s start with my Veggie Fish Soup and will add more to my post later…
Veggie Fish Soup
Now this has never been an exact science in measurements & quantities; it’s an art form, and you can taste the vibrant nutrients in each spoon full. You may add almost all types of seafood & vegetables to your liking. So I’ll give you the basics, and you may build-up on this more or less.
- Cod Fish – Medium to Large – fresh or frozen (frozen would be easier on your budget)
- 1 – 2 pcs. of fresh garlic – minced
- 1 large onion
- 3 stalks of celery with a few pcs. of celery leaves chopped
- fresh parsley (as much or as little as you like) I like a whole hand full chopped
- fresh Dill – you may be generous
- 2 small – medium size carrots, cut to small pcs.
- 1 large chopped fresh tomato (if in season), or 1 can of organic diced tomato. (optional): one tiny can of organic tomato paste instead.
- Olive Oil (Greek, 1st press, cold press, extra virgin)
- Spices: add Tumeric, Coriander, Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Red Pepper Flakes, Sweet Paprika, Sea Salt & Pepper
Optional: you may add more greens as I do (depending what I have left-over in my refrigerator from the previous day). i.e. Arugula aka Roka, romaine lettuce, zucchini, & the like. I stay away from beans, mushroom, corn… and stick with greens. Sticking with greens may avoid that volcanic affect in your stomach/intestines.
As for seafood, you can add just about anything: Fish with shrimp, crawfish, clams, crab, mussel, scallops, conch, squid, etc. Please choose from sustainable seafoods guidelines referred to the links below. It’s good to aware & savvy on what is healthy/what may have large amounts of mercury/heavy metals, parasites, GE fish, over fished areas/species etc.
Note: No need to add any Chicken Broth! I don’t understand when I see seafood recipes, they add chicken broth… so wrong on so many levels. Enjoy the natural juices of the fish/seafoods & greens, veggies & spices… alone!
Fish to avoid:
- Fish (Cod or whatever main fish you choose), if fresh – remove the bones, cut into chunks. If frozen – rinse the fish, place into pot of water, bring to a boil until fish is tender, remove from pot (but do not drain the water – all the nutrients are in the water); take a knife and remove top layer skin/scales carefully, remove bones and then place back into fish water. Add any additional seafood at this point into pot.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, parsley, dill, carrots & celery, tomato, and spices and any additional greens to the pot.
- Cook for a 1/2 hour to 40 mins., add water if needed.
This soup is more then a meal, it’s medicine and it taste better the next day too!