This is one of my favorite dishes, beets with the beet green leaves. So simple & easy to make with loads of nutrients.
The good: (Beets) This food has zero Fats and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Magnesium and Potassium, and a very good source of Folate and Manganese. (Beet Greens) It is also a good source of Protein, Folate, Pantothenic
Acid, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
The bad: (Beets) A large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars. (Beet Greens) This food is high in Sodium.
Note: Be sure that you purchase “Organic” beets, all beets in the U.S. are G.M. (Genetically Modified).
- Organic Beets with leafy green tops
- Greek Olive Oil
- 1/2 fresh squeeze lemon
- Greek Yogurt (optional) Goat Cheese
- Wash & rinse the beets & leaves, peel the beets & cut them in half
- Place in large pot with 1/3 water, boil until beets are tender (1/2 – 45 mins.)
- Transfer contents in large bowl with a little beet water juice
- add 1/2 fresh lemon juice & Greek Olive Oil
- Top with a large scoop of Greek Yogurt/Goat Cheese
- Sprinkle Gomasio on top
This can be a main lunch meal, not just a side dish…
- Beet Tzatziki Recipe & Health Benefits of Beet Root
- Eating Fruits & Vegetables According To Seasons
- Make Your Own Gomasio
- Horta – Dandelion (weed vegetables)
- Greek Zucchini Pie
- Greek Village Salad
- Squid & Spinach Soup