A great alternative to store bought soy sauce/ teriyaki sauce! Another option is organic tamari sauce.
Originally posted on A Real Food Lover:
I love marinating fish in teriyaki sauce. It adds such a unique flavor. If you have checked out the stuff in the store, these are the type of ingredients you’re likely to find:
- Soy sauce (made with GMO soy beans)
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (made with GMO corn)
- Vinegar (made with GMO corn)
- spices (code word for MSG, see the whole MSG story here)
- onion powder
- succinic acid (a fermented sugar acid used as a sweetener)
- garlic powder
- sodium benzoate (an additive that is a known carcinogen and linked to hyperactive disorders in children)
First of all that is way too many GMO ingredients for me thank you very much! Plus I like the challenge of making something myself. Start with buying a high-quality unpasteurized soy sauce. I really love Ohsawa Organic Nama Shoyu Unpasteruized Soy Sauce (wow that was a mouthful). They naturally ferment their soy sauce in cedar kegs for four years! It is delicious! You can find it at Whole Foods, or online at Amazon.com. It contains all of the natural enzymes and beneficial bacteria that you would expect from a traditionally produced, raw food.